Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity!

I am now re-reading Walden Pond by Thoreau.

Here are a few of the thoughts from the first two chapters. Enjoy!...

--To be a philosopher is not merely to have subtle thoughts, nor even to found a school, but so to love wisdom as to live according to its dictates a life of simplicity, independendence, magnanimity, and trust.
--All men want, not something to 'do with', but something to 'do', or rather something to 'be.'
--It is well to have some water in your neighborhood, to give buoyancy to and float the earth.
--To be awake is to be alive. I have never met a man who was quite awake. How could I have looked him in the face?
--Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity!
--Why should we live with such hurry and waste of life? Men say that a stitch in time saves nine, and so they take a thousand stitches today to save nine tomorrow.
--Let us spend one day as deliberately as Nature and not be thrown off the track by every nutshell and mosquito's wing that falls on the rails.
--Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.
--I have always been regretting that I was not as wise as the day I was born.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I love those quotes - even if I don't know what they all mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like these quotes! Very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete